creadur-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Include Source URLs in Generated LICENSE...?
Date Wed, 31 Oct 2012 23:49:21 GMT
On 31 October 2012 21:12, Robert Burrell Donkin
<robertburrelldonkin@blueyonder.co.uk> wrote:
> Whisker[1] generates LICENSE and NOTICE documents from meta-data. An
> optional source URL can be associated with each resource contained in a
> distribution. Originally, this supported licenses which require the source
> to be printed in the NOTICE but Apache CloudStack[2] would like to include a
> source URL in the LICENSE. This would be unconventional but I'm not sure it
> would be harmful.
>
> So, I'm leaning towards introducing a configuration allow this
>
> Opinions? Objections?

The content of URLs can change, so provided the current content is
included in the LICENSE file I don't see any harm in also including
the URL from which it was derived.

However, I don't think the LICENSE file should contain only the URL.
Apart from the fact that the content might vary, the end-user should
not have to go fetch another file - the LICENSE file should be
complete.