creadur-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Code Style [WAS Re: Various dev questions :-)]
Date Mon, 01 Oct 2012 11:18:45 GMT
On 30 September 2012 18:58, P. Ottlinger <pottlinger@aiki-it.de> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I don't want to start any holy war as well ....
>
> Am 30.09.2012 16:20, schrieb sebb:
>> IMO changing code to suit some arbitrary checkstyle rules is a waste
>> of time (and wasted effort reviewing changes).
>
> but some time ago I suggested an automatic solution that gets applied
> before every checkin - thus each developer may work with his/her code
> styles and the SVN repo contains one consistent view on the sources:
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/RAT-103

This will change the user's workspace, so they only get to work with
their style once.
It will also tend to cause issues with IDEs which will have to resync.

> This only applies to *.java and is performed during each run of 'mvn
> install' - so no active waste of developer time!

Except that the process will take longer, especially on a large code base.
Even fixing things like EOL markers can take an appreciable time.

Not everyone uses Maven for development / testing.
I rarely use mvn install.

> To my mind good code should be easy and good to read ...
> I'm not convinced of: "If it was hard to write, it should be hard to
> understand" :-D

Indeed, but enforced global consistency is not a guarantee of readability.