creadur-dev mailing list archives

From sebb <seb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Code Style [WAS Re: Various dev questions :-)]
Date Sun, 30 Sep 2012 14:20:32 GMT
The only rule I hope we can agree on is no TAB characters.
This because TAB settings are variable and can badly mess up indentation.

Consistency within a single source file is desirable for readability -
e.g. it's awkward to follow if indentation is not consistent.

But I don't see a particular advantage to consistency across all files
and file types.

For example, XML files often have deep nesting, so an indent of 2
chars is often better.
Whereas Java files don't (or should not) have deeply nested conditions
so 4 chars indentation is probably more readable.

IMO changing code to suit some arbitrary checkstyle rules is a waste
of time (and wasted effort reviewing changes).