creadur-dev mailing list archives

From Chip Childers <chip.child...@sungard.com>
Subject Re: Question about using Rat and the potential to create "accepted exceptions"
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2012 13:04:56 GMT
On Sat, Aug 11, 2012 at 6:27 AM, Robert Burrell Donkin
<rdonkin@apache.org> wrote:
> On 08/11/12 03:53, David Crossley wrote:
>>
>> Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
>>>
>>> You didn't tell us, how you are using Rat:
>>>
>>>   . Maven Plugin: Use the excludes and/or includes properties, see
>>>
>>>        http://creadur.apache.org/rat/apache-rat-plugin/check-mojo.html
>>>
>>> - Ant Tasks: The rat-report task uses a standard Ant fileset to specify
>>> files
>>>    that are being checked. These can contain nested excludes
>>> specifications:
>>>
>>>       http://creadur.apache.org/rat/apache-rat-plugin/check-mojo.html
>>

>> Also an example of using the Ant task for RAT directly (no maven)
>> to provide a separate "excludesfile" file with various patterns
>> to exclude:
>> Re: RAT running nicely against Forrest with excludes
>> http://s.apache.org/jmd
>

> It's been on my mind for a while that the command line isn't great ATM. If
> you're happy to be using rat that way, I'd be very interested to understand
> more about your use case :-)
>
> BTW
>
> 1. We're pushing towards the first release of Whisker - this tool helps with
> generating composite legal documents (LICENSE and NOTICE etc) and verifying
> that the contents of a distribution (as opposed to source code) are
> accounted for licensing-wise. If this sounds like something that you might
> be interested, please jump in - we'd be very happy to understand more
> potential use cases :-)
>
> 2. If you're using a build system other than Ant or Maven, please let us
> know. We're happy to tool up other build system given active users to help
> us understand the use case :-)
>
> Robert

Jochen, Robert, David,

Thanks a bunch for the responses.

I didn't find the exclude function when looking at the command line
use of Rat, hence I missed the Ant and Maven plugin docs in my
searching.

CloudStack is still "bootstrapping" here at ASF.  Due to the project
status, I've been manually working through issues using Rat via the
command line.

It looks like it's very easy to use the exclude function via Ant or
Maven, so I'll head down that path once things get stabilized a bit.

Thanks again gents.  We really like Rat...  and appreciate you folks
working on it.

-chip