creadur-dev mailing list archives

From David Crossley <cross...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Question about using Rat and the potential to create "accepted exceptions"
Date Mon, 13 Aug 2012 07:31:07 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:
> David Crossley wrote:
> >Jochen Wiedmann wrote:
> >>You didn't tell us, how you are using Rat:
> >>
> >>  . Maven Plugin: Use the excludes and/or includes properties, see
> >>
> >>       http://creadur.apache.org/rat/apache-rat-plugin/check-mojo.html
> >>
> >>- Ant Tasks: The rat-report task uses a standard Ant fileset to specify
> >>files
> >>   that are being checked. These can contain nested excludes
> >>   specifications:
> >>
> >>      http://creadur.apache.org/rat/apache-rat-plugin/check-mojo.html
> >
> >Also an example of using the Ant task for RAT directly (no maven)
> >to provide a separate "excludesfile" file with various patterns
> >to exclude:
> >Re: RAT running nicely against Forrest with excludes
> >http://s.apache.org/jmd
>
> It's been on my mind for a while that the command line isn't great ATM.
> If you're happy to be using rat that way, I'd be very interested to
> understand more about your use case :-)

Forrest uses an Ant-based build and deployment system.
We get both Gump and Buildbot to run RAT for us.

> BTW
>
> 1. We're pushing towards the first release of Whisker - this tool helps
> with generating composite legal documents (LICENSE and NOTICE etc) and
> verifying that the contents of a distribution (as opposed to source
> code) are accounted for licensing-wise. If this sounds like something
> that you might be interested, please jump in - we'd be very happy to
> understand more potential use cases :-)

That could be helpful for Forrest. I have a tool that i wrote
specifically for the Forrest situation, called "licer" which
correlates the licenses of packaged dependencies.
I should try to verify the results with Whisker.

-David