creadur-dev mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <rdon...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Switch to CMS ... ?
Date Sun, 06 May 2012 18:45:50 GMT
On 05/06/12 16:04, sebb wrote:
> On 6 May 2012 13:52, Robert Burrell Donkin<rdonkin@apache.org>  wrote:
>> The next stage of the graduation hand-over is setting up the infrastructure
>> for Apache Creadur TLP. This includes the website.
>>

>> I think there's generally positive feelings about the CMS, excepting
>> committing Maven generated sites. As a user, I find the Maven sites for
>> releases are useful. So, I suggest switching to the CMS and dropping the
>> Maven sites for anything other than releases.
>
> Not sure what you mean by that.

(I'm still trying - and failing - to be meaningful and concise...)

> How can there be a CMS site and a separate Maven site?
> What URLs will these be using?

We were experimenting [1] with checking in Maven sites...

Checking generated Maven sites into the CMS (eg [2]) produces lots of
commit messages (eg [3]), and is a little fiddly.

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-rat-dev/201204.mbox/%3C4F8037FE.7050302%40blueyonder.co.uk%3E
[2] http://rat.staging.apache.org/rat/rat/
[3]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-rat-commits/201204.mbox/%3C20120407124344.BB6C523889BB%40eris.apache.org%3E

>> If we're going to switch to the CMS, it will save some effort if we ask
>> infrastructure to set it up for the new TLP domain.
>>
>> Opinions? Objections?
>
> I think the CMS works well for sites that need frequent updates of
> parts of the site.
> For example, the main ASF site.
>
> Conversion to Markdown format can be a non-trivial exercise; although
> there are some scripts, their output still needs some tweaking.
> And there are some features of HTML which are not directly supported
> by Markdown (e.g. numbered lists using alpha).
>
> For Maven sites that are generally only updated with each new release,
> the fact that Maven sites cannot be built piecemeal is not an issue,
> so is it worth the conversion effort?

Rat is sparsely documented, but I had hoped to work on some new,
user-centered content in the CMS and leave the existing stuff for releases.

We need some form of cohesive top level site for Apache Creadur,
hopefully with some more documentation for users. The consensus seemed
to be that using the CMS fits this well, and allows some products to use
Maven and some to use the CMS for their documentation (by checking the
Maven generated sites into CMS).

Having tried it for a while, never me nor Stefan are particular keen[1]
about regularly checking in Maven generated sites. I'd be happy just
checking in the Maven generated documentation for each release.

Robert

[1]
http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-rat-dev/201204.mbox/%3C87lim5las5.fsf%40v35516.1blu.de%3E