crail-dev mailing list archives

From "Jonas Pfefferle" <peppe...@japf.ch>
Subject Re: Clarifying questions...
Date Tue, 09 Jul 2019 08:04:42 GMT
Hi David,

Good to hear things work now.
1) Technically, you can use the RdmaStorageTier "directly" with a SSD since
it allocates its data in "datapath" (and then mmaps it). Now this path is
typically a hugetlbfs but it can be a standard mount point. However, there
are a few drawbacks with this approach: all IO is buffered and you have no
control over when it is written to the SSD and since Rdma requires that all
memory is pinned you have to allocate as much memory as your SSD has. So
overall that is not really feasible.
My recommendation is to use the NVMf storage tier locally.
2) Correct, at the moment that is the only way you can do this: start
multiple instances of SPDK or use SPDK RAID0 if you just want to use
multiple devices in the same storage class.

FYI the shuffle plugin also supports configuring the storage class it should
write to: "spark.crail.shuffle.storageclass" (put into Spark config)

Regards,
Jonas