couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Sachin Divekar <ssd...@gmail.com>
Subject Architecture of a messaging app using Couchdb
Date Tue, 28 Nov 2017 14:36:51 GMT
Hi,

I have been studying a possibility to use Couchdb for a realtime messaging
app. The architecture I am thinking about is as follows. The app will
access only the local offline database using Pouchdb which is in continuous
replication with a remote Couchdb cluster. On the server, it'd be one
database per user. The app, in addition to conversations also has other
active objects like tasks, notes etc. I just want to have a discussion with
some experienced Couchdb users if such architecture makes sense.

My primary concerns are following.

1. I am thinking of keeping shared objects in every participant user's
database. e.g. a group chat will be present in each of the participant's
database or a task can have multiple users assigned to it. I am not sure
how to replicate the changes made by one user on a task in his database to
other participant's database. Perhaps using filtered replication but I am
not sure.

2. Will the load of continuous replication of a few thousand databases be
handled smoothly?

3. How to deploy filters, views etc on all the databases because
essentially they will be same for all the databases.

Looking for some advice.

Thank you.

Regards
Sachin