couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject Re: 2.1 config files
Date Thu, 05 Oct 2017 22:53:58 GMT

the above toolsets.

-Joan

----- Original Message -----
From: "Peter Sagerson" <psagers@ignorare.net>
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Sent: Thursday, 5 October, 2017 6:30:08 PM
Subject: 2.1 config files

Hello,

I'm trying to get CouchDB 2.1 running on a FreeBSD server. As the 2.x series has not yet made
it into ports, I'm just building it manually for the time being. I can mostly get it running
this way, but integrating it into the system in a sensible way has not been very relaxing
thus far.

The first thing I'd like to do is move the config files under /usr/local/etc where they belong.
The documentation explains the use of -couch_ini, which works as far as it goes, but when
I do that, it appears that default.d and local.d are not included. Is that expected? Is there
a way to relocate these as well?

Since I'm not (yet) trying to manhandle CouchDB into a package manager, I could just ignore
this, but for one other quirk: couchdb likes to modify local.ini! Or sometimes one of the
files in local.d, if I'm using the default config location. Does it pick a random local config
file? Last in a lexical ordering? It's not clear. In any case, this is pretty disastrous for
any system managed by deployment automation (e.g. SaltStack), as the two will be stepping
all over each other. Is there a principled way to maintain an unambiguous distinction between
files that I manage and files that couchdb manages?

Thanks,
Peter