couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Samuel Williams <space.ship.travel...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Relaxo Ruby gem no longer targets CouchDB
Date Mon, 13 Feb 2017 05:38:23 GMT
Hi Adam, feel free to let me know what parts of the feedback were
confusion and I'll attempt to clarify.

Regarding the query server, I assume you mean that the query server
was refactored on the Erlang side, but I was under the impression that
the externally visible API is largely the same. I made some proposals
here ages ago https://docs.google.com/document/d/1JtfvCpNB9pRQyLhS5KkkEdJ-ghSCv89xnw5HDMTCsp8/edit?usp=sharing
and of course I was hoping for discussion but essentially nothing
happened to improve the situation since I wrote that document 4 years
ago.

Some of the key points:
- Still does map well to the global scope imposed by languages like
Ruby, C++, etc.
- `rereduce` provides function directly while map use ddoc.
inconsistent and hard to compile AOT.
- No support for parallel computation or compression.
- Restricted to JSON which is a pretty major overhead for the query
server from my profiles several years ago.

Another big issue is the loss of the _bulk_save all or nothing API,
which I used for transnational updates. Without that API, existing
code that worked with 1.0 was broken.

The sharding made it a pain to set up and migrate existing 1.0 data
stores, yes probably my fault but it broke at least one production
site while I figured it out.

Web interface is still pretty limited, some regressions in
functionality in Fauxton, general lack of direction to improve things.

The idea of CouchDB being an application server largely ignored, left
to stagnate (e.g. lists).

It's my humble opinion that for CouchDB 2.0, for the common use case
that it appears to be addressing, Cassandra would be a better option.

But, look, what do I know. This is my opinion and take it with two
cents of salt :) I'm not trying to provoke an argument. I may be
misinformed, wrong, etc, it wouldn't be the first time.

Kind regards,
Samuel

On 13 February 2017 at 17:28, Adam Kocoloski <kocolosk@apache.org> wrote:
> Hi Samuel, thanks for sending this note. I have to admit that I find some of the feedback
confusing — a new query server was one of the headline features of 2.0 — but that’s
neither here nor there. It’s good of you to provide a clear statement about the future of
the Relaxo projects. Cheers,