couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Nicholas Outram <nicholas.out...@plymouth.ac.uk>
Subject Creating users - getting back "Database does not exist."
Date Mon, 05 Dec 2016 15:42:00 GMT
I’m working though the tutorial on CouchDB

http://docs.couchdb.org/en/latest/intro/security.html

I’m at the section “Creating a New User”, where is says:

Creating a new user is a very trivial operation. You just need to do a PUT<http://www.w3.org/Protocols/rfc2616/rfc2616-sec9.html#sec9.6>
request with the user’s data to CouchDB. Let’s create a user with login jan and password
apple:

curl -X PUT http://localhost:5984/_users/org.couchdb.user:jan \
     -H "Accept: application/json" \
     -H "Content-Type: application/json" \
     -d '{"name": "jan", "password": "apple", "roles": [], "type": "user"}'

When I try this, I get

{"error":"not_found","reason":"Database does not exist.”}

I’m missing something here. Can anyone advise?

Nick
________________________________
[http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/images/email_footer.gif]<http://www.plymouth.ac.uk/worldclass>

This email and any files with it are confidential and intended solely for the use of the recipient
to whom it is addressed. If you are not the intended recipient then copying, distribution
or other use of the information contained is strictly prohibited and you should not rely on
it. If you have received this email in error please let the sender know immediately and delete
it from your system(s). Internet emails are not necessarily secure. While we take every care,
Plymouth University accepts no responsibility for viruses and it is your responsibility to
scan emails and their attachments. Plymouth University does not accept responsibility for
any changes made after it was sent. Nothing in this email or its attachments constitutes an
order for goods or services unless accompanied by an official order form.