couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Geoff Bomford" <geoffbomf...@comformark.com.au>
Subject Re: 2.0 _purge returning "not implemented"
Date Wed, 09 Nov 2016 22:30:40 GMT
Thanks Adam,

OK, then maybe Couchdb isn't what I'm looking for because I really need to
purge deleted documents.

I'm not using replication, and my data has a life of a couple of days,
maximum. So I have a lot of data coming in, being updated, and then being
deleted. All those old deleted documents are just going to get in the way.

-----Original Message-----
From: Adam Kocoloski
Sent: Thursday, November 10, 2016 00:46
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Subject: Re: 2.0 _purge returning "not implemented"

Hi Geoff,

Hmm, no … purge does not work at the clustered database level in the 2.0
release. It looks like we may have failed to document this change beyond the
API response that you got. There are some subtleties in how we have to
manage that operation in a cluster. For example, if you happen to purge a
document while only two replicas out of three are online, the third one may
ultimately get re-propagated to the other two shards at a later date.

I know some folks are working on adding this capability back in to the
clustered API, but until that work lands if you absolutely need to purge
documents you can navigate to the shard-level API on a different port and
execute the purge request there. That’s not for the faint of heart, though.
Cheers,

Adam