couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Daniel Munch <dani.mu...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Two-way SSL authentication?
Date Thu, 24 Nov 2016 09:34:34 GMT
Hey Jan,

well that's great then. I wouldn't mind becoming it's official
maintainer at Apache CouchDB, the handlers code-size is relatively
small and since we already use it I'd have to maintain it anyway.

What does it need to get through the legal hoops?

Thanks,
Daniel

On Wed, Nov 23, 2016 at 2:43 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
> Heya Daniel,
>
> if you’d be prepared to become the official maintainer at Apache
> CouchDB, I think there would be no objection to adding this auth
> handler to the distribution.
>
> We’d have to jump through some legal hoops, but that wouldn’t be
> a problem and is just standard procedure.
>
> Best
> Jan
> --
>
>> On 23 Nov 2016, at 12:42, Daniel Munch <dani.munch@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I'm kind of jumping into this discussion on authentication handlers
>> here, even though it's not (or only halfway) related to the initial
>> question.
>>
>> I initially contributed the patch to make Authentication handlers
>> pluggable again for one single reason: To use the custom
>> couch_jwt_auth handler (*). While everything works fine and smooth for
>> me now, I'd like to take this a step further and check if there's a
>> possibility to include this auth handler at some point in the official
>> distribution.
>>
>> A couple of things motivate me:
>> - It's useful when authentication is already handled by a dedicated
>> service, which seems to be more and more often the case in modern
>> architectures
>> - There's already been a couple of SO questions asking for this kind of use case
>> - It's security related, so I'd like to see it double and triple
>> checked by other eyes - especially since my Erlang is still pretty
>> fresh
>> - It's security related, so including it in the official distribution
>> raises trust
>> - The version I'm currently maintaining(*) is a fork of an existing
>> implementation. I opened a pull request a while back (**) with no
>> reaction.
>>

>> Well, that's it for the moment :)
>> -Daniel
>>

>> (*): https://github.com/dmunch/couch_jwt_auth/
>> (**): https://github.com/softapalvelin/couch_jwt_auth/pull/4
>>
>> On Thu, Nov 17, 2016 at 10:36 PM, Robert Samuel Newson
>> <rnewson@apache.org> wrote:
>>> Hi Tim,
>>>
>>> Authentication handlers are pluggable once again, and that feature will appear
in our next release (tentatively designated 2.1.0).

>>> We'd definitely merge a patch that added an authentication handler where the
DN was used to look up a user in the normal CouchDB _users database.

>>> when we bring LDAP in, things get trickier. I'm sure we'd take a patch to add
an LDAP authentication handler, but there's no precedent for handlers co-operating with other
handlers (LDAP plus client cert). If you're prepared to do the work, I'm sure this could be
figured out, I'm just saying the authentication system doesn't already support the notion,
and we wouldn't want to make this part of couchdb much fiddlier.