couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Adam Kocoloski <kocol...@apache.org>
Subject Re: CouchDB 2.0 Command Line Options
Date Tue, 18 Oct 2016 16:49:24 GMT
Hi Melvin, I have a theory here. Did the original $ROOTDIR/etc/vm.args file still contain a
“-name” directive?

Multiple “-args_file” inclusions are OK, but when there are conflicting “-name” settings
the node will default to nonode@nohost. When you specify both “-name” and “-sname”
the latter will take precedence. Try removing the “-name” from $ROOTDIR/etc/vm.args and
setting it using either of your first two methods. Cheers,

Adam

> On Oct 18, 2016, at 11:33 AM, Melvin.Lew@tdameritrade.com wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I work with Maggie, and had a follow up question about running multiple instances of
couchdb using one binaries directory.  When setting up a cluster, I understand I need to set
the identity of each node in vm.args.  I tried the following to have couchdb look in a different
location for the vm.args file:

> 	export ERL_FLAGS="-couch_ini /myinstance1/default.ini /myinstance1/local.ini -args_file
/myinstance1/vm.args"

> However, the couchdb log shows the node identity as: nonode@nohost
>
> Then I tried specifying -name in ERL_FLAGS:
>
> 	export ERL_FLAGS="-couch_ini /myinstance1/default.ini /myinstance1/local.ini -name metc/yinstance1@hostname1.domain"
>
> And I still get: nonode@nohost
>
> Finally, I tried specifying -sname in ERL_FLAGS, and this seems to work, but gives a
shortname:

> 	export ERL_FLAGS="-couch_ini /myinstance1/default.ini /myinstance1/local.ini -sname
myinstance1"

> And now I get: myinstance1@hostname1.  Is there any way I can either point couchdb at
my instance's vm.args file, or I can specify the fully qualified -name option correctly?

> Thanks for your help!

to note that every file you want to be consulted needs to be listed there — the couch_ini
flag will override the default search space entirely.

> Adam
>
>> On Oct 6, 2016, at 11:48 AM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> try
>> export ERL_FLAGS=“-couch_ini /path/to/default.ini /path/to/local_one.ini”
>> ./bin/couchdb
>>
>> Analogous with local_two.ini etc.
>>
>> Best
>> Jan
>> --
>>
>>> On 06 Oct 2016, at 17:41, Maggie.Jiang@tdameritrade.com wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi Adam,
>>>
>>> Thanks for replying! I need to point it to another location. We plan to have
a few instances of CouchDB for different purposes on our dev servers and would like to use
the same binaries to start it up (but pointing to different local.ini files on start up).
Without the -a option, I'd have to build CouchDB 2.0 3 times (for example) in order to be
able to start up 3 instances of it on a dev server.

>>> Maggie

part. I filed https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=https-3A__issues.apache.org_jira_browse_COUCHDB-2D3183&d=DQIFaQ&c=nulvIAQnC0yOOjC0e0NVa8TOcyq9jNhjZ156R-JJU10&r=NRwPGDrZo7L6ztGDn5UDKmqnTC5BQkZuuScVw4Hm9u4&m=CvGFCOSao1pTuD2kwqk7Wzhvz_0qdcdqfL_QjL_7E3o&s=LfHg4gH3qRk1Ve2f26b8_Pnj3TqhGxUo0O_duEaLikg&e=
. You can still drop files in the local.d directory and they should take precedence over any
files in default.* as well as local.ini.

>>> There are other undocumented ways to customize the list of configuration files
that are consulted using flags in the vm.args file (and probably using some environment variables
as well),, but I wouldn’t really recommend going there. Does the local.d option work for
you or do you need to point to another location?

>>> Adam

CouchDB 2.0 etc folder. Is there a way to specify this when starting up CouchDB or is there
another way?  Looking at the docs, it seems like we should still be using the "-a" option
but after looking at the startup scripts in the bin folder there is no code there to accept
the "-a" switch anymore.