couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Andy Wenk <andyw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Using CouchDB to replace a traditional Oracle Relational Database Setup
Date Fri, 01 Jul 2016 08:14:47 GMT
Hi John,

welcome to the list and sorry for the late reply. I try to answer some of your questions.
Before, I would like to make sure, that I understand what you want to achieve. In the end,
it is quite simple:

You would like to create an application where the database is CouchDB. There are around 1.5
million documents (lines of data) with around 200 changes a day and 10000 new documents per
day.

For CouchDB, this is not a problem at all. Please remember the following.

* CouchDB does not speak of lines of data but of documents. That means the 1.5 million lines
of data with 200-650 items per line would translate to 1.5 million documents with 200 - 650
key value pairs each
* the data are represented in the JSON format in the documents
* each document is schemaless
* there are no relations form document to document (you can add sth like this with a key like
“type” ore sth for sure - but that’s not the basic idea behind CouchDB)
* CouchDB has Fauxton as the administration tool
* CouchDB has a RESTful HTTP interface

How you build the application is free of choice (the frontend … EXT4JS e.g). A very good
start would be to have a look at hoodie (http://hood.ie/).

I am not sure what you wanted to say with

>  - How long would it take an average programmer to set this up to get to
>   pretty much the level the Oracle DB is running now.(my estimate 3 years)

To set up an application in it’s basic form, I think it would take around one or two weeks.
But I did not understand exactly what you really want to built.

Don’t forget to have a look into the docs and the awesome blog:

http://docs.couchdb.org/en/1.6.1/
https://blog.couchdb.org/

I hope this gives a starting point.

All the best