couchdb-user mailing list archives

From John Le Brasseur <johnlebrass...@gmail.com>
Subject Using CouchDB to replace a traditional Oracle Relational Database Setup
Date Wed, 01 Jun 2016 18:26:11 GMT
Hi.
I know this group is for more technical questions but in the end, this is a
very technical question.
Unfortunately I am pretty much someone who copies and pastes to get stuff
to work on my very beginner level.
I have been playing with CouchDB on my home pc using data in my field of
work. I am now retired.
I first saw something about CouchDB in a 2011 YouTube video concerning the
basic use of EXT4JS for developing stuff together with Couch.(I watched it
earlier this year)

A number of things stand out for me now that I have read, searched, and
watched all the YouTube stuff I could find:
(Excuse my poor terminology where applicable, I don't understand all the
terminology)

CouchDB:

   - Pretty simple to understand.
   - Pretty reliable.
   - Replicates like a dream.
   - A database can be split in pieces, with a user updating only his bit
   and this syncs with the main DB I presume within hours.(Naturally depending
   on volumes)
   - Has a view system which I find usable. (I have some very useful views)

Having said the above, I would have thought the whole world should be using
it. I do actually think so.

However if I read reports on this list, naturally the real world has
situations one never thinks of.

My envisaged (technical data) application would require absolute
accuracy(Couch does that) and will not have a high volume of changes per
day.
Let us say 1,550,000 lines of data, with 200-650 items per line.
lets say 200 item changes per day and 10000 new lines added per day.(Some
older data is archived)

My questions are:

   - Does the above sound feasible?(Yes it does)
   - What tools could be used to make a start with the design.(I have input
   some data but on a bigger scale, one may need to decide 'how to do this',
   and with what so that one starts on the right foot. The 2011 video I
   mentioned above recommended using EXTJS as part of the picture. In other
   words what would the users of this world do to design the above project? I
   am sure there are relatively few best options. I don't mean 'Perl is better
   than Python' kind of options but higher level options.
   - How long would it take an average programmer to set this up to get to
   pretty much the level the Oracle DB is running now.(my estimate 3 years)
   - What would the chief attributes of the programmer have to be to do
   this? (I don't see this as technically the most difficult programming in
   the world)
   - When do I start?
   - Volunteers?

Now even I am excited.