couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Anatoly Smolyaninov <zarkonesm...@gmail.com>
Subject Keep the constant size of database
Date Fri, 17 Jun 2016 09:26:07 GMT
Hello!

I’m gathering lots of data with couchdb for statistics. Map-reduce view approch gives the
ability to quickly get pre-calculated data, and this is very handy since the data consumer
software wants the data quickly and very often in spite of very high speed of new incoming
stat metrics.

But I’m having troubles keeping the database always the same size: I need only data for
e.g. last 3 hours and all which is elder to be deleted.

I have a special view which emits the timestamp. I query that view with startkey-endkey params
equal 3 hours ago and then bulk_update this items back with _deleted field. But what I'm currently
see is that when I do delete this way & cleanup after that operation, the number of documents
is reduced as I expected but size of db has actually increased.

So, after some time of this constant auto clean-up, I see that size of database increased
very much, but number of documents remains constant.

It would be kind of tricky to create a few databases and delete it completely, because data
is constantly coming with a high rate. Another words, I always need that 3 hour history.

Where can I read how this mechanism actually works and how should I delete the data properly?
Is it actually possible?

Thanks!