couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Peyton Vaughn <pvau...@6fusion.com>
Subject Re: CouchDB 2.0 performance issue
Date Sat, 05 Mar 2016 13:54:59 GMT
On Fri, Mar 4, 2016 at 12:05 PM, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> It will not :)

Darn, now I have to write write a wrapper ;)

To answer your question:
Since I'm using a shared VMware environment, I ran my benchmark several
times, to hopefully mitigate load spikes from other VMs. For each test run,
I pushed 3240 documents into couch.

1.6 with defaults took an average of 23 seconds to complete, with a best
time of 19 seconds.
A single-node 2.0 with delayed_commits enabled took an average of 48
seconds, with a best time of 32 seconds.

And just for comparison,
1.6 with delayed_commits turned off took ~115 seconds; best time 111
seconds.
Single-node 2.0 with defaults took ~183 seconds; best time 149 seconds.

So there definitely is still a noticeable change in write performance - but
what I really want to do is speed up view aggregation, so I'm not overly
concerned just yet.

I'm eager to see numbers for a true cluster, with couch instances on
separate hosts, but I haven't had a chance to sit down and figure out the
best way to do that with docker (well, actually, in kubernetes is the real
goal).

Hope that's helpful.
peyton