couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Harm <cont...@aharm.de>
Subject Max number of continuous replications supported by Couch?
Date Mon, 28 Mar 2016 08:01:49 GMT
Hello all,

I’ve been playing with CouchDB over the last weeks and am running into serious problems.
My idea was, to have a central database and roughly 1.000 project dbs that stem from a filtered
local one-way replication from the central db using _replicator db. However, triggering 1.000
replications grinds CouchDB to a standstill. I read that for each replication Couch spawns
a process so that approach might not be feasible after all.
I changed my setup now into a node process listening to the changes feed of the central database
and then manually triggering a one-shot replication to the affected project dbs. That seems
to work for now.

However, now the clients should listen to the changes feed of their relevant project dbs and
again CouchDB is thrashing and crashing all over the place. I increased "max_dbs_open" to
1.500 and added "+P 10.000” to the Erlang startup parameters. ULIMIT on OS X is set to unlimited.

My central database only has 1.000 small documents so I’m a bit scared of what will happen
if it grows to millions of documents and hundreds of clients listening to the changes feeds.

Are there any recommendations on (nr_of_dbs, nr_of_clients, nr_of_replications) => {couch_settings,
erlang_settings, system_settings}?
Or should I not even attempt to host Couch myself (I would really like to) and directly use
Cloudant?

I’m using CouchDB 1.6.1 (installed via homebrew) on OS X 10.11.4

Any help appreciated.

Regards, Alexander