couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Michael Power <Michael.Po...@ELOTOUCH.com>
Subject Couchdb 1.x and 2.x partitions
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2016 21:40:37 GMT
Hello,

I have a use case where I am building up a lot of read only data for specific time periods.
 I might bucket each dataset daily, and then after a certain number of days I want to throw
away the data.  I imagine doing a delete of each record that is old will be expensive in execution
and also create a lot of versions inside the database slowing down the database as a whole
and driving the need to do a compaction.  Does couchdb have a way to partition the data, so
that I can do a bulk delete of that data quickly without degrading the storage of the database
with unused sections?

At this point in time, I can only think of creating a new database that is dated.  Insert
into it, then when it expires delete the whole database.  This forces the clients to be aware
of the partitions, they would have to query the correct database given the date range they
are interested in.  Is there a way I can hide the partitions from the clients?

Michael Power