couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Craig Minihan <cr...@ripcordsoftware.com>
Subject RE: MapReduce in CouchDB
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2015 22:27:12 GMT
Joan and Martin, I don't think AvanceDB would sit well inside CouchDB - I think the technology
stacks and product goals are just too different. For example Avance is a resource hog (by
design) while Couch is very light (admirably so).

However the core JS piece that Avance uses is MIT licensed and most likely could be integrated
in-process into an Erlang VM. I'm not an Erlang guy but AFAIK this would be feasible.

I separated libjsapi into a separate project specifically to allow the FOSS community to get
value from it in other projects.

Check out: https://github.com/RipcordSoftware/libjsapi

There are a bunch of examples in the README and in the wiki, all in C++ but they are so simple
most folks could pick them up quickly. I made a Mandelbrot example running under GTK+ to show
how the SpiderMonkey GC and the GTK memory models could co-exist. This type of approach would
be needed to get BEAM and SpiderMonkey to interact harmoniously.

In the most trivial implementation you could pass it JSON and receive JSON back similar to
the current JS 1.8.5 query server in Couch. Since this could be done in process it should
improve basic MR performance significantly.

I'd gladly help out in any R&D effort on behalf of Couch to get this thing rolling.

Cheers,
Craig