couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: performance tuning and optimization guidelines
Date Thu, 20 Aug 2015 18:05:40 GMT
Hi,

On Thu, Aug 20, 2015 at 8:59 PM, Florin Andrei <florin@andrei.myip.org> wrote:
> For older databases like Postgres there are documents describing performance
> tuning, such as this one:
>
> https://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Tuning_Your_PostgreSQL_Server
>
> It's pretty easy to get a 10x performance improvement for queries on large
> datasets if you apply techniques like that.
>
> Are there any similar guidelines for CouchDB?

I don't know any of such, but there is no magic pill to just make
things faster. Performance almost always is a question about
tradeoffs. But before tuning anything, you need to measure things and
find out which causes bottlenecks. And only after that you should
start to think about any tunings and optimizations accounting
tradeoffs they bringing on the table. Premature optimization is the
root of all evils (:

--