couchdb-user mailing list archives

From James Dingwall <james.dingw...@zynstra.com>
Subject Re: Project Fauxton Feedback
Date Fri, 14 Aug 2015 15:26:04 GMT
Michelle Phung wrote:

One of the things I would like to cover in my presentation is what CouchDB
as a community, would like to see implemented in Fauxton, and what can be
improved.

 My experience of using the version of fauxton bundled in CouchDB 1.6.1 (with SeaMonkey 2.33.1
in case its a browser thing...)

Too much space around text in the layout , default font size too large - I use the interface
primarily as a debug/development tool so I want as much in the browser window as possible
and it doesn't need to look pretty.  In the futon interface I can see ~20 rows at a time against
7 in fauxton which makes for a lot of scrolling.  I do a reasonable amount of work in VMs
and have a limited screen resolution and even with a maximised browser window the left hand
menu generally overlaps the Database-Replication and Documentation-Logout divs.  If I adjust
the view to 80% in the browser most things layout better for my preferences.

Once you enter the database another vertical column is rendered with the design documents
so between that and the fixed left menu half the page is lost.  I preferred the drop down
selection of design documents/views in futon due to its minimal use of page real estate but
this feature was slightly irritating in that it could take a long time to populate the drop
down over a slower connection.  I am most interested in viewing/editing documents so would
like the design of the page to maximise the space available for that function.  There is no
apparent option to increase the number of documents shown in each page from 20 in fauxton.
 I also found the two column presentation of view results in futon more easily navigated than
just presenting raw json.

The default behaviour in fauxton is to show the expanded documents instead of an _id which
is a hyperlink to the document.  When design documents are a few 100kb this makes for an unresponsive
browser experience since these typically appear first in the all documents view.

The edit document page shows the full json structure.  When documents are large this makes
it more difficult to locate what you want to change.  In futon objects and arrays were shown
collapsed by default but it was still a bit awkward to edit deeply nested objects.  Futon
has separate edit pages for working with the whole document or parts of the document.  I would
like to see an edit mode where it is possible to expand objects and then enable editing for
only the expanded part of the object.  In particular this would be useful for large design
documents which contain many keys.  I like the syntax colouring of fauxton in the whole document
edit page which helps to identify errors.

James

Zynstra is a private limited company registered in England and Wales (registered number 07864369).
Our registered office and Headquarters are at The Innovation Centre, Broad Quay, Bath, BA1
1UD. This email, its contents and any attachments are confidential. If you have received this
message in error please delete it from your system and advise the sender immediately.