couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jan Lehnardt <...@apache.org>
Subject Re: High CPU after loading 15K documents
Date Tue, 21 Jul 2015 09:49:01 GMT
Do you see anything in /_active_tasks while the CPU is up?

Best
Jan
--

> On 21 Jul 2015, at 10:36, Kiril Stankov <kiril@open-net.biz> wrote:
>
> Hi,
>
> I am monitoring CouchDB all the time and the CPU keeps around 10-12% all the time from
the erlang processes.
> I do not think this is normal.
> A new document is added to the DB each 5-6 minutes, but what takes CPU time when the
DB is idle?
> There are very few read requests, may be 1 each 1-2 minutes or so.
>
> Here is a screenshot from htop:
> http://pho.to/9aTTK
>
> Any ideas how can I understand what goes on?
> *With best regards,*
> Kiril Stankov,
> CEO
>

>           This Email disclaimer
>           <http://open-net.biz/emailsignature.html> is integral part
>           of this message.
>
> On 08-Jul-15 12:35 AM, Kiril Stankov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> sorry, I saw the couchdb user, mistaking it for a process. Actually what takes most
of the cpu is beam.smp.
>> Yes, I do have some reduce functions, 90% of them are simply _count.
>> On the Futon status screen I see only replication jobs, which are 100% completed.
>> There is nothing special in the couch.log, either.
>> Database sizes are very small, few Mb.
>> Now, it's midnight here, there is no activity whatsoever in the application and beam.smp
swings between 3 and 15% cpu.
>> For the last 10 hours it has 8+ hours TIME in 'top'.
>> Host is latest Ubuntu, Couch version is 1.6.1.
>>
>> On 07-Jul-15 10:08 PM, Adam Kocoloski wrote:
>>> Hi Kiril, no it’s not normal. Did you mean `couchjs` when you said `couchdb`?
If so it’s likely related to indexing. Do your views have custom reduce functions? A poorly-behaved
custom reduce function (e.g. one that doesn’t really “reduce” its output) could yield
very slow indexing. Does the dashboard indicate any indexing jobs ongoing?

>>> Adam

it divided between couchdb and beam.smp.