couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Michael Power <Michael.Po...@ELOTOUCH.com>
Subject Re: Couchdb for android
Date Tue, 16 Jun 2015 19:13:41 GMT
Is couchbase lite compatible with couchdb?

On 6/16/15, 12:08 PM, "Brad Rhoads" <bdrhoa@gmail.com> wrote:

>Our app (http://www.maf.org/estante) was built on that CouchDB build.
>It works on 2.X up, including 4.X. But it's not easy to get going and
>there's no support and little documentation. Couchbase Lite is the way
>to go for new projects.
>
>BTW - By works I mean mostly works. But memory is an issue, especially
>with replication.
>
>ᐧ
>---------------------------
>www.maf.org/rhoads
>www.ontherhoads.org
>

>On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 12:33 PM, Alexander Shorin <kxepal@gmail.com> wrote:
>> There is still available CouchDB 1.2-beta build for Android made by
>> Dale Harvey (iirc) that might be work only for 2.x androids.
>> The main issues of it were Erlang (it size is huge ~60MB) and not
>> optimal battery usage in comparison with native solutions. All other
>> features worked fine.
>> So, technically, someone could take this work on support, but it will
>> loose native solutions like Cloudant Sync or Couchbase Lite (former
>> TouchDB) by all points except "it's native CouchDB".
>>
>> --
>>

>> On Tue, Jun 16, 2015 at 9:02 PM, Michael Power
>> <Michael.Power@elotouch.com> wrote:
>>> CouchDB Users,
>>>
>>> I have seen that a couchbase android project exists.  But that is for couchbase.
 Is there a way to use couchdb in an android environment? Closest thing I see is this:
>>> https://wiki.apache.org/couchdb/Installing_on_Android Which looks like too much
work.  Any work we do to make it work on android we would have to continue to support.  Puts
a larger barrier to adoption verses something like SQLLite.