couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Miles Fidelman <mfidel...@meetinghouse.net>
Subject Re: How do CouchApps fit into the CouchDB story? (Was: CouchDB Articles, Pills and Tutorials Ideas)
Date Wed, 06 May 2015 16:55:35 GMT
Paul just said it so much better than I did.

Miles

Paul Okstad wrote:
>> On May 6, 2015, at 8:49 AM, Giovanni Lenzi <g.lenzi@smileupps.com> wrote:
>>
>> Jan: wants to remove Couchapp name and design doc functions because it
>> finds them to be source of confusion
> I understand there has been some hinting that show/list functions will be deprecated,
is this what you are referring to?

> To me, a CouchApp is not a script that conveniently loads all of your code into CouchDB,
it is the notion that all you need to run your web app is a CouchDB instance. It is the concept
of having everything you need in the design documents and server configuration.

> Personally, one of the original reasons for me being attracted to CouchDB was the ability
to implement nearly everything a web server can do in the design docs. Show and list functions
seemed like a brilliant idea, but in practice they were hard to write because of the default
Javascript environment. Also, others have complained of the performance. I wish there was
a way to improve that design, not remove it.

> Recently I have been implementing more and more functionality in Go/Python/Node and using
a reverse proxy to expose the API of Couch that I like. I feel this is not good for CouchDB.
If all I’m using Couch for is a simple document database, there are plenty of faster alternatives
out there. When I think of CouchDB, I think about how it is “of the web” and has these
brilliant design document strategies that FORCE the user to efficiently create side-effect
free transformations of documents and views that work nicely with proxies, etc. Before CouchDB,
I never cared about the etag and didn’t use all of the HTTP methods and return codes properly.
I didn’t think REST-fully.

> Having a system that structures your code, prevents you from doing stupid non-scaleable
things, and forces you to think REST-fully is superior to just winging it free-form in an
anything-goes programming environment (unless you’re awesome, but most of us are not). I
would like to see more features that FORCE web developers to create a proper RESTful webapp
and reinforce the original concept that CouchDB is a pure phenomenon of the web. Or maybe
I’m completely off. That being said: “LOVE LIVE COUCHAPPS!!!"