couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Limitation on number of items per DB
Date Tue, 20 Jan 2015 02:00:16 GMT
On Tue, Jan 20, 2015 at 1:44 AM, Kiril Stankov <kiril@open-net.biz> wrote:

> Is there any limit (practical or by design) for the number of docs per DB.

There is no any limits for number of docs per DB.

> Or may be on the DB size?

Database size is limited by underlying file system constrains about
maximum file size.

> For example, should I switch to a new DB, when the number of docs gets to
> few millions? Or may be earlier?

It's all up to you and your application needs (so called archives).

> Can I keep billions of docs per DB?

Yes, there is no technical problem with.

> Are indexes more effective on smaller number of docs?

It depends what's do you mean under "effective". Building cold index
over billion documents is indeed will be slower, much slower when you
make the same over dozens ones. If you keep your indexes up-to-dates
and doesn't change very often existed ones you may not even notice if
they ever updates. If you mean about how effective will be querying
such indexes which were build against billion document, then it's only
limited by B+tree operation complexity. It's always O(log n) for
average and worst cases.

--