couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Sharath <sharat...@gmail.com>
Subject couchdb database size
Date Sun, 25 Jan 2015 04:11:25 GMT
Hi All,

recently moved to couchdb and find my databases taking a lot of diskspace

I have two database both with json documents (no attachments) - however the
sizes vary by a lot

database1      size 8.0GB    number of documents: 13337224
database2      size 29.4 GB    number of documents: 12981148

both the databases have been compacted

each document in database1 is 487 bytes long (including _id and _rev)
each document in database2 is 564 bytes long (including _id and _rev)

database1 should be ~6.1GB (only data without compression) [487 * 13337224
/ 1024 /1024]
database2 should be ~6.9GB (only data without compression) [564 * 12981148
/ 1024 /1024]

I'm curious why the database file takes 29 GB.

unfortunately I cannot post the document as this is prod data.

CouchDb is running on my mac 10.10.1 with default configuration.

database1 was populated by a bulk upload from a mysql extract and database
2 was populated by individual document inserts (put) database compaction
was let to complete (took ~30hr on database 2)

is there a command that compacts superfluous data? or am i missing anything?

thanks!

-Sharath