couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Harm <cont...@aharm.de>
Subject Re: Offline replication/synchronisation
Date Wed, 26 Nov 2014 09:47:14 GMT
Hello Jan,

does CouchDB figure out the delta based on a previous sync or always comparing the "full database"?
Just to know if there is a difference in the first online sync after an offline sync (assuming
the database is not returned to the remote location after the sync).

Regards,

Alexander

On 24. Nov. 2014, at 18:31, Jan Lehnardt <jan@apache.org> wrote:

> Heya Alex,
>
> great cause! Multiple options:
>
> - connections are bad, but work sometimes and it is ok if data is only synchronised sometimes:
This works today.

> - connections are bad, period. Copy the .couch file (“the CouchDB database”) to something
that you can bring to a connected hub. Put the .couch file into a place that can run CouchDB,
start CouchDB, sync from there. CouchDB will figure out the delta.

> In this, you will be carrying the full DB, but only sync the delta. Just carrying the
delta is currently not really an option. If that is a concern, maybe you can hack around with
https://github.com/nolanlawson/pouchdb-replication-stream / https://github.com/nolanlawson/pouchdb-dump-cli
/ https://github.com/nolanlawson/pouchdb-load

> Good luck!
> Best
> Jan
> --
>

>> On 23 Nov 2014, at 21:40 , Alexander Harm <contact@aharm.de> wrote:
>>
>> Hello,
>>
>> I work at a large humanitarian organisation and I would like to create a new app
to manage our local staff (roughly 9.000 in more than 30 countries). I was looking into CouchDB
as possible backend and it meets many of my requirements. However, there is one little issue
I could find nothing on the web about. Although probably all of our projects have some sort
of Internet connection (DSL, V-Sat, Thuraya) it still happens that online synchronisation
is simply impossible due to miserable connection quality and not just somewhere in the bush.

>> I was wondering if it is possible to create some sort of file with the delta-update
that could be transported to a place with better Internet access or to the next hub (e. g.
country coordination) where it is imported in the instance running there. Does anyone know
if something like that could be feasible?