couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Peter Grman <peter.gr...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Allow user-defined views
Date Fri, 28 Nov 2014 01:23:56 GMT
Hi Alex,

Yes, the users would be able to import different sets of data, which isn't
relational, and use the platform to analyse it. The analysed data would be
in 99% of the cases append only (+ removing old data) and the data can be
defined by the user, as well as be hierarchical.

When I thought about the system in the beginning, CouchDB seemed like an
awesome choice as there would be only a couple of well defined queries and
storage is generally cheap, I thought that CouchDB views and their caching
are what I'm looking for.

The problem is again only with people who want to trick the system. I would
be also happy with a solution which would detect bad views ones they have
been deployed (uses too much space, takes too long to compute) and
deactivates and marks them for me to check. This way I could check those
few people who try a DoS attack and ban them from the service.

The additional main problem was, if it is really impossible to get data
from a different database inside the view and if the user won't be able to
access the underlying system, ..., or if it is just very difficult =>
possible, if someone wants to do it they'll find a way. But after reading
more and understanding more, how the views are executed using  evalcx I
think the other problems aren't a big concern for me anymore, is that
correct?.

Although I've found in the code "if possible, use evalcx (not always
available)" - how can I check that evalcx is available on my system? Or is
it just a note for older distributions, nothing to be concerned about
anymore?

Thank you

Cheers
Peter