couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Dave Cottlehuber <...@jsonified.com>
Subject Re: How to actually install CouchDB on Debian?
Date Fri, 03 Oct 2014 16:46:49 GMT
> Fair warning: I'm just a tad miffed because the instructions do not work
> and they probably have not been working for more than a year!

Fair warning: I used these to build the last official release, so it’s unlikely ;-).

Given the paucity of information you’ve provided it’s hard to tell exactly what went
wrong, but luckily I don’t get miffed easily ;-).

I’m sure with your assistance we can improve the instructions.

> So, I am following the instructions from here:
> https://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/COUCHDB/Debian

- What Debian release are you on?
- What package versions are installed?

> And it was at the "apt-get update -y" where I began to run into a slight
> problem:
>
> W: Conflicting distribution: http://packages.cloudant.com wheezy Release
> (expected wheezy but got squeeze)

I’m guessing you are on > Debian 7.4 and therefore can’t use the cloudant ones.

use either `lsb_release -a` or `cat /etc/debian_version` to check that.

The debian 7.5+ packages are finally current with what CouchDB needs:

https://gist.github.com/dch/eedbd3fe3351327650e0

so you should be able to do:

`apt-get install -y libmozjs185-dev erlang-nox erlang-dev`. If you let me
know what works for you we can expand the instructions.

and IIRC what I used for preparing the 1.6.1 release was basically this but in a local VM:

https://gist.github.com/dch/056de1a8e869000bb7fd

HTH
A+
Dave