couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jason Smith <jason.h.sm...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Improved CouchDB logo
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2014 11:52:44 GMT
I have been thinking about Brad's point for a long time now. What exactly
is relaxing? Since CouchDB came out, web APIs, NoSQL and JavaScript have
become [more] mainstream. Today's users are not impressed that they can
store an unstructured JSON blob, or that they can use JavaScript on the
server.

I am torn about Joan's observations. On the one hand, I'd hate to
over-steer, to make a big change because a tiny minority of people
interpret a bit of art a particular way. But on the other hand, Joan would
be the first person most people come to with such an issue. Maybe she has a
better perspective; she detects a problem that I can't see.

For now though, my provisional position is to agree with Benoit about the
art, and Brad about the tagline. The man thinks he is alone. He is doing
what people do when they relax. We are spying on that behavior, and that is
what makes it real and convincing. The man is not a sales rep with a
dubious promise of relaxation. He really is relaxing.

I don't plan to post again, simply because of bike shedding. I'm fine with
any decision. But I suggest: as long as the tagline is "relax," keep the
logo. Discuss changing the tagline (and also the logo), and even put a
project rename on the table while we're here. (This has been discussed
before, there are some good arguments.)