couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Joan Touzet <woh...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Improved CouchDB logo
Date Tue, 28 Oct 2014 00:27:44 GMT
At 3 different conferences I've attended in 2014: CloudantCON 2014,
OSCON 2014 and Velocity NYC 2014, I've been approached by people
complaining about the CouchDB logo. The argument is that the logo looks
like a man who is posed in a suggestive way, or as one person put it,
"showing you his crotch and inviting you over."

These were not lighthearted expressions of concern to me over drinks -
they were heartfelt complaints from people who care about CouchDB and
its image in the open source community.

I must admit I didn't think it was an issue at first, but like the
saying goes, once you've seen it, you can't un-see it.

As a reminder here is our current logo:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/supplement/logo/couchdb-logo.png

Or in SVG:

https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/supplement/logo/couchdb-logo.svg

I'd like to propose improving the logo with a new drawing that keeps the
same theme - red couch, reclining figure in white - but alters the pose
to be a bit less suggestive. Other suggestions are welcome, naturally,
but a redrawn current-style logo probably has the least objections.

Of course, if we agree to such a change, I'll need your help. I can't
draw, and I'm sure many of the rest of you can't either. If you're an
artist, and you agree, would you consider posting an altered logo in

You can find all of the source files (Adobe Illustrator) at:

  https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/couchdb/supplement/logo/

-Joan