couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Is there a general rule to estimate the maximum disk space for couchdb database?
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2014 09:40:44 GMT
Let's see.

1000 documents 1KB sized added in the beginning of each day and
updates every hour. So for single day we have 1MB of initial data
+23MB from revisions. 24MB per day gives us 720 MB per average month
and 8.7 GB per year. However, for each day you accumulates 23MB of
overhead data for previous revisions which could be cleaned up during
compaction. So if you'll run compaction at the end of day, 1MB per day
will be the grow rate.

Also worth to take into account the fact that while CouchDB cleans up
old revisions on compaction, it doesn't removes their ids from
document to preserve his history: this will give you also small size
overhead on top, but not significant.

Additionally it's worth to know that CouchDB grows db by 4KiB chunks
no matter if stored document is even smaller then. Also take into
account that file system may preallocate more space for a file than it
actually contains.

--