couchdb-user mailing list archives

From "Sanjuan, Hector" <hector.sanj...@here.com>
Subject RE: Manually deleting a _design directory
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2014 06:25:35 GMT
Hi,

afaik from what I've played around nothing will break and things work as you expect them.

1. yes
2. no
3. yes
4. I think yes, it will free up space as long as the view is not being used, but the easiest
is that you test it in a dev instance.

As a side note, db compaction also frees a lot of space...

Also, why don't you just delete the _design docs as that is the way to remove a view if you
don't need it? should be matter of 2 clicks..

From: Daniel Gonzalez <gonvaled@gonvaled.com>
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2014 08:14
To: user@couchdb.apache.org
Subject: Manually deleting a _design directory

Hi,

I have a couchdb instance which I am no longer using for data processing.
That is, I need the data to be there, but the views are no longer needed,
since I have moved the data processing to another server. I would like to
free the space used by the views (currently nearly 5 GB).

1. Can I simply delete the design directories? (rm -rf .*_design)
2. Will this affect the documents themselves? (I guess not, this is just
view data, not document data)
3. Can I do this in a running couchdb instance?
4. Will this really free-up disk space, or does couchdb keep view file
handles open, so that a restart is needed?

I understand that doing so will still leave the _design documents in the
databases, and that triggering those documents will recreate the views, but
I am not concerned about this at this moment: I just want to quickly
free-up some disk space.

Thanks!
Daniel Gonzalez