couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Which view is better optimized ?
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2014 18:44:30 GMT

On Jul 22, 2014, at 9:45 AM, Mike Marino <mmarino@gmail.com> wrote:

> Multiple views also allows you to split them across design documents, which
> means they can be built independently and in parallel.

On the other hand, if the views are re-indexed independently, then each task is reading the
documents out of the database. Whereas if the views are in the same design document, the documents
only get read once and then passed to each view’s map function. I would have thought the
latter would be faster, but it probably depends on details of the view engine that I don’t
know about.

—Jens