couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Manokaran K <manoka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Viewings
Date Tue, 24 Jun 2014 16:48:23 GMT
On Tue, Jun 24, 2014 at 8:38 PM, Svoronos Gmail <sgsvoronos@gmail.com> wrote:
> I was working on that now! I can break it into smaller docs but there will be many of
them (about 10k). Is it preferred to have more smaller docs rather than a bigger one?

Depends on your application and the data model! In any case, docs of
1GB size seems to be too large.

> I noticed that even with many small docs the views take quite long. I was thinking to
create the view before i put the data in the db and ask for it every time a new doc is added
(in a way split the workload). Does this make some sense?

The views get constructed at the time of first access after a design
doc is uploaded to the db (and every time a design doc is updated).
So, in normal service it should be pretty fast.

> Do i have to ask for the viewing to update every time a new doc is added or is it going
to update automatically? I do all the updates/views through a c# program.

The view functions are run on every new doc saved to the db (and
updated existing docs). So you don't have to do anything here.

Regds,
mano