couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Stefan Klein <>
Subject bind_address =
Date Wed, 18 Jun 2014 14:51:19 GMT
Hi all,

I want to run multiple CouchDB instances on a single host. I don't want to
use different ports, but different loopback adresses and have a nginx
reverse proxy to forward requests to the right CouchDB. (using different
addresses i can use /etc/hosts to assign names.)

OS is Ubunto 12.04 LTS
I tried just using:

bind_address =

in local.ini, doesn't work.

Now i've setup lo:1 in /etc/network/interfaces:

iface lo:1 inet static

which results in an interface:

$ ifconfig lo:1
lo:1      Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:  Mask:
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1

CouchDB still refuses to bind to that interface:

from /var/log/upstart/couchdb.log:
=SUPERVISOR REPORT==== 18-Jun-2014::16:40:12 ===
     Supervisor: {local,couch_secondary_services}
     Context:    start_error
     Reason:     invalid_bind_address
     Offender:   [{pid,undefined},

(error message is the same for all tries)

Any more ideas?