couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Suraj Kumar <suraj.ku...@inmobi.com>
Subject Are these in Plugin scope?
Date Tue, 13 May 2014 12:29:39 GMT
[cross-posted]

Hi,

We have hacked couchdb erlang code to make it do some low-level things we
wanted for our system. The changes are:

1. Audit keeping: set a mandatory (potentially configurable) field in each
doc with the UserCtx.name and Date/Time. (like, "last_modified_time" =
current_time and "last_modified_by" = UserCtx.name).

2. Audit trail: whenever docs are created/updated, also write another
"snapshot" doc for history keeping.

>From what I understand, plugins work at the HTTP layer only and not at the
DB layer. Am I right? It appears like a way to introduce new API end-points
than to affect behaviour of existing (core) APIs.

We don't want to intercept every write API call (PUT, POST, various update
handler functions, etc.,). Nor do we want to tell clients to do the ugly
thing of "duplicating the very information  in the doc which they provide
at HTTP layer" (ie., HTTP basic auth).

Are these two features in Plugin scope? If not, what is the "right" way of
doing this? (Two options I see: 1. introduce a middle ware layer 2.
continue to hack couchdb-erlang code and maintain it ourselves*). Any other
options?

Cheers,

  -Suraj

* It seems to me, option #2 is still *cheaper* than inventing a "highly
available and scalable middle ware layer".

--
An Onion is the Onion skin and the Onion under the skin until the Onion
Skin without any Onion underneath.

receipt.