couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Manokaran K <manoka...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Would this be a sane use case for couchdb?
Date Thu, 10 Apr 2014 02:06:52 GMT
On Thu, Apr 10, 2014 at 6:15 AM, Der Engel <engelster@gmail.com> wrote:

> If that is the way to design/model data for CouchDB then how big is too big
> for a document? For example, in my case, invoicing software, users are
> going to create hundreds invoices every year, so keeping all the invoices
> on a single document is going to make the document big overtime, is that
> normal?

It might help to think how it would've been done when there were no
computers. I know it could be difficult for those born after computers
became ubiquitous :-)

In the case of invoicing, there used to be book with perforated sheets
which can be torn easily and given to customers. This sheet was the
invoice. So, in CouchDB, the database that contains the invoice
documents will be the 'book' and each invoice would be a separate
document with its own unique id.

Hope that helps.

Regds,
mano

--
Lord, give us the wisdom to utter words that are gentle and tender,
for tomorrow we may have to eat them.