couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Handle the Welcome Request
Date Tue, 15 Apr 2014 19:08:32 GMT

On Apr 15, 2014, at 11:12 AM, Dale Harvey <dale@arandomurl.com> wrote:

> Saying its useless is wrong though, if you do a file based replication the
> databases should have the same uuid, it does in the pouch implementation at
> least, the entire point is that a host does not map to a database, its data
> does.

I remember being in a discussion of server UUIDs a few years ago. The issue I had is that
in P2P replication (especially among mobile devices or laptops) a “server” may not have
a stable URL. You may discover the same remote peer (using Bonjour or a DHT or whatever),
but its IP address may not be the same as the last time.

In this case the CouchDB algorithm would start the replication over from the beginning because
the remote URL doesn’t match. By using the remote UUID when available, you can avoid that.

Anyway, this is going off-topic for this thread. I was just misremembering about CouchDB doing
a GET /.
IMHO, it’s still best to avoid rewriting / to some custom web page, because it is part of
the API.

—Jens