couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Scott Weber <scotty2...@sbcglobal.net>
Subject Re: question about "complex" range queries
Date Thu, 03 Apr 2014 19:32:46 GMT
Jens,
Thank you for being so kind, while you were putting statements into my text and then telling
me that I am wrong.

I never said what I was relying on.  I was trying to determine if this was a known behavior
becuase it does not seem to appear in any of the no less than four different sites that purport
to have documentation (any single one of which is not comprehensive).

I have specifically *not* relied on it because to date, none of the documentation I can find
says it is expected behavior. I have coded my own way to solve it, or have found creative
ways to use the keys which are documented behavior. And yet the sorted value behavior is there,
yielding unexpected results that I had been spending time investigating.

My question was asking if it can be relied upon, and should be in the documentation (or perhaps
was in yet another site I hadn't stumbled across yet), or if it is not intended, and therefore
could stop occurring now or in the future.

Robert,
As you say it's an artifact, so we won't attempt to take advantage of it.  I just thought
that if the system was using CPU cycles to intentionally sort that far into the string, and
it was known and reliable, we could not waste code and CPU doing it again.

-Scott