couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Benoit Chesneau <bchesn...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: No joy installing GeoCouch from the plugins page on CouchDB 1.5.0
Date Sun, 23 Mar 2014 13:56:05 GMT
On Sun, Mar 23, 2014 at 2:23 PM, Andy Wenk <andy@nms.de> wrote:
> just cam to my mind. Watch the cool video "Making CouchDB Plugins - Jason
> Smith, Nodejitsu" from Jason at http://conf.couchdb.org/#videos :)

Not sure if it's related to my previous answer but while I see some
usage to plugin as something you add dynamically we are still missing
all the experience accumulated in OTP release [1]. Adding an app to
the code path and removing is one thing but imo we really need to find
a way to mix the features we have in OTP releases with the need of
doing it dynamically. In particularly

- beeing able to gracefully upgrade an app
- make sure all the processes are killed

I probably miss some other things.For now if i need to extend couchdb
it's quite easy to add a new app to the erlang couchdb release
(rcouch) and upgrade the current running node without shutting down
all the services. Adding geocouch to a new node was just a matter of
30mn.

Anyway the current pluging code is really a good start and I already
using it to add temporarely some applications to couchdb, mainly for
debug purpose. I already started some work around it t to add the
missing features we need, hopefully i will be able soon to push a new
branch :)

- benoit

[1] http://learnyousomeerlang.com/release-is-the-word