couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Alexander Shorin <kxe...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Unit Test logging with couchDB....
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2014 05:42:51 GMT
Well, CouchDB's deprecated in-browser test suite has a feature to
share test reports:
https://github.com/apache/couchdb/commit/9765e4fc3e89400262330d907fb5429ada370428
Actually, these reports are stored inside special database and the
button allows you to replicate this db to central one.

In modern CouchDB releases you'll not find this test page unless you
have direct url onto it: http://localhost:5984/_utils/couch_tests.html

While I'm not aware about any other frameworks that allows the same, I
see it's quite simple feature to implement by your own. Just Run
tests, transform the results into JSON document and push it to CouchDB
database. As for Python, this is very easy to do for default unittest
module.

--
,,,^..^,,,

On Thu, Mar 20, 2014 at 9:51 PM, Knudsen, Ken
<Ken.Knudsen@imaginecommunications.com> wrote:
> Yup...So, in whatever unit test framework one is running, the unit tests are running,
Assert.Fails and whatever else... but within those tests, say you want to write out information
about values and other results... or want to store the end result files themselves in a global
store for later retrieval. Many of the frameworks provide a plug-in mechanism so you can write
your own logger plug-in... or the main files that record the overall UT runtime information
are stored as simple XML formats.. taking that information and aggregating it into a central
store for use in some fashion by reports etc.

> So let's do a typical scenario in our environment... I'll point for it so I don't ramble
on.

> - msbuild environment
> - Jenkins as the build CI Server
> - Projects are built and install packages made
> - Each set of projects can have 1 or more sets of UT binaries generated. These binaries
are all bundled up into their own install package
> - On some virtual machine, setup with pre-installed 3'rd party software for a given product,
the Product's main install is done and then the UT install for that product is done (Using
Jenkin jobs to coordinate etc)
> - A small internal UTFramework Runner is kicked off and then begins running all the given
UT's on the system, each recording their information of pass and fail etc.
> - It's that information that we want to capture and record back to a central location.
Now Jenkins can capture the base UT runtime stuff and show the pass fail results...but taking
this information, along with anymore detailed logging and storing it in a central DB for use
later on is what I'm looking for. Not overly hard to do...but that's what I'm asking the community
about: if anyone has done thing's like that or some other best practice scenario's using couchDB
in that fashion.

or worked with unit testing frameworks but instead of using that frameworks built in logging
mechanism, broke out that logging part and used couchDB instead? With couchDB there wouldn't
be much 'breaking out' given how easy it is to record log information during a UT run with
couchDB...but I'm interested in anything someone may have to add outside of the obvious stuff...
>>    I watched a talk from the MS guys where they incorporated couchDB into one of
their internal unit testing frameworks (Daylight?)...but I can't find anything more on it
so far as what they built on top of that data captured, etc.

>> To keep the discussion as global as possible, the term 'Unit Testing' in this context
envelopes all layers, from single component to integration testing.