couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Suraj Kumar <suraj.ku...@inmobi.com>
Subject realizing design docs in views / modifying couch
Date Fri, 14 Mar 2014 08:18:27 GMT
In our app, we have the notion of named classifier functions which
categorize documents into N (system defined) categories. The categories by
themselves are nothing but names associated to functions which will return
true/false for each document. We would so love to see this app take off the
ground by merely using the changes API filter functions as classifier
functions and have an external (node.js) program subscribe to these streams
and sets the name into the document per our definition. Ideally, once
'categorized', unless things change, the document may not even require a
re-categorization.

I'd like to expose the list of possible categories to the outside world: In
other words, I'd love to simply emit() the top level keys of a filter
function defining part of design documents.

But, from what I understand, views don't see design docs. What is the
recommended way of building indexed metadata about design documents? Or,
how do I go about implementing a classifier system the _right_ way?

For the lack of such a system, I think, it makes sense to modify couchDB
core to make it support, like Validate Doc Update functions, a set of
Classifier functions. It would have to behave exactly like VDU, except the
JS function can also return the changed document and couch writes the
changed part also. We are thinking of doing this to avoid an external
changes stream processor, but if there is a standard way in which this can
be done, we'd like to listen and do it that way.

Your thoughts?

Thanks,

  -Suraj

--
An Onion is the Onion skin and the Onion under the skin until the Onion
Skin without any Onion underneath.

receipt.