couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: healthcare projects running on couched?
Date Mon, 24 Mar 2014 16:26:30 GMT

On Mar 24, 2014, at 7:07 AM, Albin Stigö <albin.stigo@gmail.com> wrote:

> I always thought couchdb would be a really good fit for various
> patient record systems. Especially in remote areas with spotty
> connection, or perhaps no connection at all, as you could run a local
> version, then physically move it and sync later.

In general, yes. But  in the US, HIPAA regulations seem to be pretty strict about the security
of databases that store medical records, so one would need to ensure that the database is
stored on an encrypted filesystem and the replication always runs over an SSL connection.
(I remembered just in time to add “in the US”! :) I’m sure the EU has similar regulations.)

(Disclaimer: I don’t know anything first-hand about HIPAA, but I’ve talked with several
developers of medical apps, especially mobile apps, who’ve shared these kinds of concerns.)

Another reason CouchDB is a good fit is that its ecosystem includes several mobile-ready implementations
that can be used to sync records to/from phones and tablets. These include Couchbase Lite,
PouchDB, and Cloudant’s mobile sync SDK.

—Jens