couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Marcello Barnaba <...@openssl.it>
Subject Re: Is CouchDB supported on SUSE Linux Enterprise Server SP3
Date Tue, 18 Mar 2014 19:16:12 GMT

cool ^_^'

Radhika, what you did is absolutely legit and you won't run into any issues - as long as the
person currently maintaining this package screws up :-).

the OpenSuSE build service is a collaborative, community effort. the person who built the
package you're using had a need for CouchDB on SLE and he took the available package, rebuilt
it for SLE and shared it in the open.

of course, you can't expect a SLA (and the associated headaches ;-) that you may get from
a dedicated company / contract. in the open source game, you get things for free, and when
these things start being important to run your business, you give back... nurturing the earth
that grows the tree from which you picked up the free fruit. :-)

one day, if CouchDB works well for you, you'll have all the interest in having a reliable
package source: you may decide in investing some time in building the know-how required to
update it, and then you'll share the results with other people, that then in the future will
do the same.

so, welcome in the open source bazaar: it's a delightful environment, and I'm sure you'll
enjoy your stay :-).

~Marcello
--
~ vjt@openssl.it