couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Robert Samuel Newson <rnew...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Bulk deletes and disk size
Date Fri, 07 Mar 2014 09:47:50 GMT
Hi,

Adding _deleted:true marks the document as deleted only, it does not remove the body or the
attachments. This is why your disk usage has not reduced; you haven’t reduced the size of
your documents.

When you delete a document with the DELETE http method you are really doing a PUT with just
{"_id":"foo", "_rev":"bar", "_deleted":true} so your "bulk delete" operation should do the
same if you don’t intend to keep the data.

Definitely avoid purging until you’ve discovered whether really deleting your content addresses
your disk usage.

B.