couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Chris Ashton <chrisjash...@yahoo.co.uk>
Subject Re: Corrupt database file
Date Fri, 21 Mar 2014 13:34:53 GMT
Hi Tim

Many thanks for this reply. I have tried this dump method but even that fails, complaining
about the database file : "curl: (56) Problem (2) in the Chunked-Encoded data"

Our files are huge so everything takes ages.

The only other thought I have right now is to process this enormous text file, add whatever
curly braces and the like are required to turn it back into valid JSON and then, as you suggest,
rewrite it into the database in some way.

I'm just surprised there is no utility to fix bad data sections, it's a real pity.

By the way, I probably should have mentioned, we appear to have couchbase single version 1.2.0

Thanks again

Chris

________________________________
 From: Tim Tisdall <tisdall@gmail.com>
To: user@couchdb.apache.org; Chris Ashton <chrisjashton@yahoo.co.uk>
Sent: Friday, 21 March 2014, 13:19
Subject: Re: Corrupt database file

I don't think there's any tool for fixing corrupted db files...  What I'd try doing is dumping
all the content from the DB and reconstructing it.  You can fetch everything in the database
by downloading http://127.0.0.1:5984/my_database/_all_docs?include_docs=true (where the IP
and domain is your server, and 'my_database' is your DB).  You'd then need to write some
sort of script to read that JSON document and then write the values back into a _new_ database.

Does anyone know if there's a way to do this same sort of thing with replication?  (I have
to do it the other way because I don't have enough space for 2 copies of my DB on my system)

On 21 March 2014 07:46, Chris Ashton <chrisjashton@yahoo.co.uk> wrote:

Hi

>I am a novice with CouchDB and really struggling to support a product that someone developed
before leaving the company. No one else has any skills in Couch so I'm trying to pick up the
pieces.

>Our database has stopped responding and we've tried compacting but to no avail.
>
>We are getting errors like the following in the log file, which I presume mean that we
have a corrupt db file for one reason or another:

>[Fri, 21 Mar 2014 10:06:56 GMT] [error] [<0.213.0>] ** Generic server <0.213.0>
terminating
>** Last message in was {'EXIT',<0.217.0>,
>                               {file_corruption,<<"file
corruption">>}}

>I was wondering if there was a utility which would scan DB files and remove badly formed
parts or anything like that? We are running on Windows.