couchdb-user mailing list archives

From Jens Alfke <j...@couchbase.com>
Subject Re: Login link missing in 1.5 with Window IE 8
Date Tue, 18 Feb 2014 19:04:23 GMT

On Feb 18, 2014, at 10:11 AM, Jason Winshell <jason@jasonwinshell.com> wrote:

> I'm at a bit of a loss trying to understand how a bug like this could go undetected in
an official release.

Because the CouchDB contributors don't have the bandwidth to test the admin UI (which is obviously
lower priority than the core database) on every version of every browser?

(Also, I'll bet there's a low correlation between people who work on or use CouchDB and people
who use MSIE, so this kind of bug wouldn't get noticed very often.)

The thing I find odd is that the one browser CouchDB is officially tested with is Firefox,
not Chrome, when Chrome has about twice the market share of Firefox or MSIE[1] and is based
on {something still very close to} WebKit, which has about 80% of mobile market share[2].

I'm guessing the choice of which browser to support/test with was made early on, maybe 5 years
ago, when Firefox was more dominant and MSIE was still in terrible shape.

> It's essential that Futon work with IE. Corporate and government installations dictate
the what software is installed on machines. A user would not be allowed to install a Couch
compatible browser.

Futon's not an essential part of CouchDB. It doesn't do anything you can't do through the
REST API. As long as users are allowed to install 'curl' they'll be OK ;-)

—Jens

[1] http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Usage_share_of_web_browsers#Summary_table
[2] http://www.businessinsider.com/mobile-browser-share-2013-11